Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Changes!

If I have to pick just one word that is going to describe the upcoming year it is CHANGE! I am so dang excited for this upcoming year and all the new things that it will bring!!

- My husband will graduate from law school!
- New careers
- *Hopefully* purchasing our first home
- Free time (for the first time since meeting my husband, we will be at a place in life where neither one of us will be students!)

As I sit here enjoying the last day of my two week break I can't help but to think where I might be at this time next year. However, it is my goal this upcoming year to stop and enjoy the moments. I'm not sure about any of you, but I spend a lot of time focusing on the future, so much in fact that I often miss out on my present. Since this year will contain so many memories, lasts, and opportunities I want to really work on being present.

I know people say not to make New Years Resolutions and I have to disagree with them. When I was a senior in high school I read somewhere that successful people write down their goals and are more likely to achieve them. So that day before my senior year I wrote down everything I wanted to accomplish, and at the end of the year I had accomplished all but one of them. Even looking back at last year's goals I would say I was successful on each of them.

In 2014 I want to....
1.) Live in the Moment
I want to enjoy the moments as they are happening. To me this means spending less time on social media, less planning, and more fun.

2.) Run a half-marathon
Every since I moved to Lincoln 7 years ago I've always thought, 'I need to run the Lincoln Marathon'. But every year I had an excuse why I shouldn't sign up. Well last night I have officially registered for this years half-marathon. I am excited to start training and check this item off my bucket list!

3.) Be Healthy
Isn't this on every one's list? I'm not talking about dieting or losing weight. Recently I've realized that I am not in a good place health wise. It takes me longer to recover when I don't eat the right foods, sleep, or am lazy. Being healthy to me means drinking more water, getting at least 8 hours of sleep, and moving more--which should be pretty easy with my marathon training.

4.) Accept Change
Change is the only constant in life and it will happen. Most of the time change happens and we don't expect it. I find myself lucky in the aspect that many of the changes coming up in the next year I know about, and I want to handle it gracefully :)

5.) Continue to save
Last year Kane and I exceeded our savings goal by quite a bit- which for us, was a huge deal ! It's no secret we have student loan debt, however, for having 14 years of combined schooling (7 for me, 7 for Kane), we are actually at a really good place. With that being said, I still want to save so that when our student loans start coming due we are at a place where its not overwhelming.

6.) Take more time for us
I often times take Kane for granted, but this year that will change. To me this means eating more suppers together at the table, maybe more date nights, or a short vacation. I just don't want to regret wasting this time in our lives where it is just the two of us.

7.) Celebrate
This is something I've started incorporating into my life lately. I need to focus on celebrating life. The celebration I'm most looking forward to is my husband's law school graduation- I'm thinking this deserves a vacation.

I can honestly say I am SOOOOOO excited for 2014 and all that it has in store for us. It is going to be a great year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment